Wednesday, October 24, 2012

1971 The French Connection

1971 The French Connection


This is easily one of the worst movies to win this award.  Tyler and I couldn't follow what was happening, and it felt way longer than its hour and 40 minute run time.  The characters mostly seemed to be going about their business, without any consideration for the audience.  It was not at all clear what on earth was going on.  I can't even summarize it -I really don't know what it is I sat through.  All I know is that there are two dubious detectives, Doyle and Russo, investigating something to do with drugs, and yes, there is some sort of French connection -not sure what it is.

So boring.  And the lamest excuse for a famous car chase I've ever seen -but then, after watching the second Matrix movie I may be burned out on car chases for life.

It also won Best Actor for Gene Hackman as Doyle, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Film Editing.  I think the only one you can really make a case for is editing, and that's still a big stretch.

The Fiddler on the Roof.
The Fiddler on the Roof should have won.  A musical that even Tyler likes!  Topol is amazing.  The whole movie is amazing, touching, and powerful (better than Gentleman's Agreement at showing the plight of the Jewish people).  The Jewish people got the short end of the stick in Fiddler, AND at the Oscars.  Where's Gregory Peck when you need him?

Gregory Peck in A Gentleman's Agreement.


No comments:

Post a Comment