Monday, October 22, 2012

1966 A Man For All Seasons

1966 A Man For All Seasons

Whoops, just realized I skipped this one.  Maybe because I tried to erase it from my memory.

How can a movie with Henry VIII (one of history's most fascinating figures, and a personal interest of mine) be dull?  THIS is how.

Sir Thomas More is pondering if there is any POSSIBLE way to make this movie more boring.

Sorry, but Sir Thomas More really didn't need his own movie.  He comes across just fine appearing for 10 minutes or so in any other Henry VIII movie.  I almost fell asleep.  And he is so gosh dang stubborn.  More was a friend and adviser of Henry who refused to renounce his Catholic beliefs when Henry converted the country in order to marry Anne Boleyn.

Portrait of the real Thomas More.
More tells his daughter, "Listen, Meg, God made the angels to show Him splendor, as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But Man He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of his mind. If He suffers us to come to such a case that there is no escaping, then we may stand to our tackle as best we can, and, yes, Meg, then we can clamor like champions, if we have the spittle for it. But it's God's part, not our own, to bring ourselves to such a pass. Our natural business lies in escaping. If I can take the oath, I will."

He couldn't.

He stuck by his beliefs and was executed, becoming a martyr.

I don't want to write more about this movie.  I get bored just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. This was a tough one to watch. I have trouble believing that the pain and anguish he caused his family while refusing to convert was worth the martyrdom, but I love my family more than any religious ideals.

    ReplyDelete