Wednesday, October 10, 2012

1953 From Here to Eternity

1953 From Here to Eternity


Again, I must disagree with the population at large.  This is considered a major classic.  Why?  I just don't get it.

I liked Burt Lancaster -he was charismatic.  But otherwise, there just wasn't much to either entertain me or make me think.  Shouldn't a movie try to accomplish at least one of these things?

Basically, a stubborn soldier is getting bullied by other stubborn soldiers.  There are a couple of half-hearted romances that fizzle out.  Sinatra was okay, but I didn't really see best supporting actor material.   Ditto Donna Reed.

The Pearl Harbor attack was the only really interesting part, and that was short.

Way better movies that year in my opinion?  Roman Holiday, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Mogambo, all films I love.

P.S. I don't care how much Mario Puzo denied it -I still think Fontane in The Godfather was based on the mafia helping Sinatra get the role in From Here to Eternity.  Even Sinatra thought so.  Of course Puzo denied it, what else could he do?

Frank Sinatra won an Oscar playing Angelo Maggio.

No comments:

Post a Comment