Friday, October 12, 2012

1955 Marty

1955 Marty



Marty is a really cute movie.  My heart broke for poor Marty in the beginning -trying to find love and feeling rejected and ugly and unlovable.  His friends and family, especially his mother, keep pushing him to find a girl to marry, but he is ready to give up: "Ma, sooner or later, there comes a point in a man's life when he's gotta face some facts. And one fact I gotta face is that, whatever it is that women like, I ain't got it. I chased after enough girls in my life. I-I went to enough dances. I got hurt enough. I don't wanna get hurt no more. I just called up a girl this afternoon, and I got a real brush-off, boy! I figured I was past the point of being hurt, but that hurt. Some stupid woman who I didn't even want to call up. She gave me the brush. No, Ma, I don't wanna go to Stardust Ballroom because all that ever happened to me there was girls made me feel like I was a-a-a bug. I got feelings, you know. I-I had enough pain. No thanks, Ma!"

Then he meets a nice girl named Clara in a similar situation and they totally hit it off.  Everything seems great, until his family/friends start raining on his parade for their own selfish or shallow reasons.  Luckily, Marty decides to stick up for what he wants and calls Clara in the end: "You don't like her. My mother don't like her. She's a dog. And I'm a fat, ugly man. Well, all I know is I had a good time last night. I'm gonna have a good time tonight. If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees. I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me. If we make a party on New Year's, I got a date for that party. You don't like her? That's too bad."

I was so relieved that Marty found someone -I felt so sad for him, watching him get blown off in the beginning and seeing how much heartache he suffered.  It doesn't really feel like a movie that would win Best Picture, but I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment