Wednesday, July 10, 2013

AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES - 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES - 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Okay, I've delayed long enough, giving myself a break after watching all the Best Picture winners.
 photo AFI_zps9bf94751.jpg
Now, it's time to start on my next goal: the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movies (the 2007 edition, which has some changes from the original 1997 version).

I have decided to start from the bottom of the list and work my way up.

Not surprisingly, there is a deal of overlap with the 86 Best Picture winners I have already reviewed, so I will just provide links back to my previous reviews for those movies fortunate enough to have made both lists.

Wikipedia states the criteria used by the AFI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Movies_%2810th_Anniversary_Edition%29):

"AFI asks jurors to consider the following criteria in their selection process:

*Feature length: Narrative format typically over 60 minutes long.American film: English language, with significant creative and/or financial production from the United States.
*Critical Recognition: Formal commendation in print, television, and digital media.
*Major Award Winner: Recognition from competitive events including awards from peer groups, critics, guilds, and major film festivals.
*Popularity Over Time: Includes success at the box office, television and cable airings, and DVD/VHS sales and rentals.
*Historical Significance: A film's mark on the history of the moving image through visionary narrative devices, technical innovation or other groundbreaking achievements.
*Cultural Impact: A film's mark on American society in matters of style and substance."

I will still be posting reviews of historical dramas as well, along with some posts about recent releases I've seen -just to mix things up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment