Wednesday, July 10, 2013

#99 Toy Story (1995)

#99 Toy Story (1995)

  photo ToyStory_zpsceed4bce.jpg

Buzz: Right now, poised at the edge of the galaxy, Emperor Zurg has been secretly building a weapon with the destructive capacity to annihilate an entire planet!  I alone have information that reveals this weapon's only weakness.  And you, my friend, are responsible for delaying my rendezvous with Star Command!
Woody: YOU!  ARE!  A!  TOYYYYY!  You aren't the real Buzz Lightyear!  You're -you're an action figure!  You are a child's play thing!
Buzz: You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.  Farewell.
Woody: Oh, yeah? Well, good riddance, ya loony!

Rex: What if Andy gets another dinosaur? A mean one? I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection!

 photo ToyStory2_zps10eac16e.jpg
Here's why I think Toy Story is important, and why it is on the list: "Toy Story was the first feature-length computer-animated film and the first film produced by Pixar (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story)."

It set the stage for a new type of movie.  Now computer-animated films are huge, and Pixar a giant (Finding Nemo, WALL-E, Up).

In addition, it is a powerful story of love and friendship, with great voice acting (Tom Hanks, Tim Allen), a smart script, and a fun premise (our toys are alive!).

 photo ToyStory3_zps4b071589.jpgThat said, I don't like it as much as its two sequels.  Toy Story 2 is my favorite, and the third installment is my second favorite.  I liked it better once the two lead toys, Buzz and Woody, became friends, which doesn't happen until the end of the first movie.  And I was still a kid when the first movie came out, so the horrible boy who dismantles and torments his toys creeped me the heck out (a baby doll head on robotic legs -eek!).

 photo ToyStory5_zps8f8cb041.jpg

As for the child perspective (the target audience), my kids liked it alright, but Finding Nemo is their favorite Pixar film.

 photo ToyStory4_zps08a67547.jpg

Still, Toy Story started it all, and that's big.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Kaleena! The first Toy Story was absolutely momentous, the second one was better, and this reminds me that I don't think I have seen Toy Story 3. Tonight it goes on my list!

    ReplyDelete