Thursday, December 6, 2012

2010 The King’s Speech

2010 The King’s Speech

Queen Elizabeth [using an assumed name]: My husband's work involves a great deal of public speaking.
Lionel Logue: Then he should change jobs.
Queen Elizabeth: He can't.
Lionel Logue: What is he, an indentured servant?
Queen Elizabeth: Something like that.


I don’t know why I can’t embrace this film.  I am fascinated by the characters in it, and enjoy pretty much any movie about the royal family, but this just didn’t stand out to me.  I liked the acting, especially Geoffrey Rush, but otherwise the movie didn’t really speak to me.  Maybe because the subject matter focuses on King George VI (Colin Firth) working with a speech coach to help with his serious stutter.  I probably would have preferred if the movie focused more on his family life -it would have given Helena Bonham Carter (his wife, Queen Elizabeth) more time to shine.  Additionally, there were a couple things that seemed inaccurate, which bugged me.  My impression is that he typically only stuttered in public situations, while in the movie he stutters even when talking to his family.  Also, his daughters didn't seem to be the right age -I think they were portrayed too young.



Regardless, it was a good movie, just not amazing.  If I want to watch a movie about King George VI, I watch the 2001 TV movie Bertie and Elizabeth.

True Grit.
I think True Grit could have been a good choice for Best Picture, partly because it's one of the only Westerns I have enjoyed.

Mattie Ross: Who's the best marshal?
Sheriff: Hmm, I'd have to think on that.  Bill Waters is the best tracker.  He's part Comanche; it is a pure joy to watch him cut for sign.  The meanest is Rooster Cogburn; a pitiless man, double tough.  Fear don't enter into his thinking.  I'd have to say the fairest is L.T. Quinn; he always brings in his prisoners alive.  Now, he might let one slip by ev'ry now and then, but...
Mattie Ross: Where would I find this Rooster?

-True Grit

But Never Let Me Go (not even nominated) was the 2010 movie that actually spoke to me the most, that made me cry and really made me think.  See my review of Never Let Me Go here:

http://kaleenasmith.blogspot.com/2012/10/never-let-me-go-2010.html

Never Let Me Go.


No comments:

Post a Comment