Wednesday, November 21, 2012

1992 Unforgiven

1992 Unforgiven


"All right, I'm coming out.  Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down." 

Yuck, what a bad movie.  I'm not a big fan of Westerns, with some exceptions, but this is one of the worst Westerns I've ever seen.

It's dark and mean-spirited.

Two young men get drunk and rowdy and disfigure a prostitute, and the lead prostitute decides to hire someone to kill the two men, as the sheriff (Gene Hackman) does not punish them harshly enough.  Munny (Clint Eastwood), his pal Logan (Morgan Freeman), and another guy decide to go for it.  Some other guys are trying on their own.  Gene Hackman is trying to protect the young men from being murdered.  One of the men is repentant, but the prostitutes will not take his apologies.  I felt bad for him, especially since the wrongdoings were really his friend's fault.

 


The only character I liked was Delilah, the prostitute that was injured.  She was a nice girl.

Thus ensues a lot of violence and killing.

I hated it.  Very disturbing.  It made High Noon look good.



So many better choices: My Cousin Vinny, Aladdin, Chaplin, and A Few Good Men would have been better options.



Lisa: Well I hate to bring it up because I know you've got enough pressure on you already.  But, we agreed to get married as soon as you won your first case.  Meanwhile, ten years later, my niece, the daughter of my sister is getting married.  My biological clock is ticking like this [stomping her foot] and the way this case is going, I ain't never getting married.
Vinny: Lisa, I don't need this.  I swear to God, I do not need this right now, okay?  I've got a judge that's just aching to throw me in jail.  An idiot who wants to fight me for two hundred dollars.  Slaughtered pigs.  Giant loud whistles.  I ain't slept in five days.  I got no money, a dress code problem, and a little murder case which, in the balance, holds the lives of two innocent kids.  Not to mention your [stomping his foot] biological clock -my career, your life, our marriage, and let me see, what else can we pile on?  Is there any more shit we can pile on to the top of the outcome of this case?  Is it possible?
Lisa: Maybe it was a bad time to bring it up.
-My Cousin Vinny


Genie: Never fails!  You get in the bath and there's a rub at the lamp.
-Aladdin



Charlie Chaplin: Alright you're so creative, you work it out!  The tramp buys a flower from the girl, in order for the plot to work, she has to think he's rich.  That's all, except if you're aware of it, the flower girl is blind.  I don't know how to make the girl mistake the tramp for a millionaire.
-Chaplin
 
Kaffee: Colonel Jessep, did you order the Code Red?
Judge Randolph: You don't have to answer that question!
Col. Jessep: I'll answer the question!  You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled.
Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!  Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns.  Who's gonna do it?  You?  You, Lt. Weinburg?  I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom.  You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines.  You have that luxury.  You have the luxury of not knowing what I know.  That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives.  And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.  You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.  We use words like honor, code, loyalty.  We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something.  You use them as a punchline.  I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.  I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way.  Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post.  Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: You're Goddamn right I did!
-A Few Good Men

No comments:

Post a Comment