Monday, November 12, 2012

1986 Platoon

1986 Platoon

"Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason."  That's what this place feels like.  Hell."

Chris Taylor.

Yuck.  This movie genuinely disturbed me.  The characters were all so disgusting to me that I genuinely didn't care if they died or not, except for William Defoe and Charlie Sheen.  I can only hope things weren't this bad in real life.  The soldiers were so evil and depraved it horrified me.  I pretty much hated the movie, so I don't know if I can judge how deserving it is of an award.  I guess it did evoke a strong reaction, so that's something.
Barnes.

Charlie Sheen is Chris Taylor, a new soldier joining a company in Vietnam out in the jungle.  The group is really brutal, particularly Sergeant Barnes, who is totally insane and sadistic.  They go to a village to interrogate the people there, and one soldier beats to death a retarded, disabled boy just for fun.  That really haunted me.  A couple other guys try to rape some young girls, and Taylor has to stop them:

Tony Hoyt: What the fuck is your problem, Taylor?  She's a fucking dink!
Taylor: She's a fucking human being, man!  Fuck you!

Elias is killed by the NVA.
Barnes, when interrogating the village leader, gets tired of the leader's wife and kills her for no reason, which enrages Elias: "You ain't a firing squad, you piece of shit."

Sergeant Elias (Defoe) seems to be the only one with a conscience.  There is a bit of a battle between him and Barnes for Taylor's soul at first, and thankfully Elias wins, but Elias is later shot and left for dead to be killed by the NVA (North Vietnames Army) by Barnes after he threatens to report what Barnes did in the village.

Things go to hell, and most of the soldiers get wiped out, which you really don't care about because most of them are such jerks.  Barnes and Taylor survive, however, and Taylor takes Barnes out, knowing he was the one who caused Elias to get killed.  That was satisfying.

Definitely never want to see this one again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Kaleena, I hated the movie. As a Vietnam vet, I can tell you that me and all my friends would have shot these guys, too.

    ReplyDelete