Thursday, November 1, 2012

1977 Annie Hall vs. Star Wars

1977 Annie Hall

"God Jackie!  We can do that for the rest of our lives!  Star Wars is a limited engagement!" -Michael Kelso, That 70s Show

 photo AnnieHall3_zps7caecd08.jpg
This one was disappointing.  I went in with high expectations.

It just wasn't that funny, romantic, or deep...it was just kind of there.

Woody Allen is a quirky character dating Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) who is also a quirky character, and then they break up.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Maybe I just don't get Woody Allen humor?

What should have won?  Two words: STAR WARS.

I don't even know what else to say about one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.

So let's let it speak for itself:

“But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!” -Luke Skywalker
 photo AnnieHall_zpsf4004901.jpg
“Just you reconsider playing that message for him!...No, I don't think he likes you at all...No, I don't like you either.” -C-3PO

“We seem to be made to suffer.  It's our lot in life.” -C-3PO

“Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.” -Princess Leia

“Your father's light saber.  This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.  Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.  For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.  Before the dark times... before the Empire.” -Obi Wan Kenobi

“Mos Eisley spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.” -Obi-Wan Kenobi

“These aren't the droids you're looking for.” -Obi-Wan

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.   The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” -Darth Vader

“Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash.  I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.” -Princess Leia


 photo AnnieHall5_zps349d2b67.jpg“Terminate her... immediately!” -Governor Tarkin


“That's no moon.  It's a space station.” -Obi-Wan

“I sense something; a presence I've not felt since...” -Darth Vader

 “Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.  We're fine.  We’re all fine here now, thank you.  How are you?”  -Han Solo

Princess Leia: Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
Luke Skywalker: Huh?  Oh.  I'm Luke Skywalker.  I'm here to rescue you.
 photo AnnieHall4_zps97ad3bb9.jpg
“Someone has to save our skins.  Into the garbage chute, fly boy.” -Princess Leia

Darth Vader: I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan.  We meet again, at last.  The circle is now complete.  When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.
Obi-Wan: Only a master of evil, Darth.

“You can't win, Darth.  If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.” -Obi-Wan

Luke: Got 'im!  I got 'im!
Han Solo: Great, kid.  Don't get cocky.


 photo AnnieHall6_zpsbe806a39.jpg“It's not impossible.  I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.” -Luke Skywalker

“Hey, Luke.  May the Force be with you.” -Han Solo

“The Force is strong with this one.” -Darth Vader

“Use the Force, Luke.” -Obi-Wan

“You're all clear, kid, now let's blow this thing and go home!” -Han Solo

 photo AnnieHall2_zpsa94931d7.jpg
Stewie Darth Vader (Family Guy "Blue Harvest"): That is fantastic.  Terrific work.  So no weaknesses at all?
General Tagge: N... no.
Darth Vader: You, uh, you hesitated there.  Is there something I should know?
General Tagge: No, it's virtually indestructible, like 99.99%.
Darth Vader: Uh, okay, wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask what's the 0.01?
General Tagge: Well, I mean, there's this little hole.  It was kind of an aesthetic choice by the architect.  And if you shoot a laser into this hole, the station blows up.
Darth Vader: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! That sounds like a pretty big design flaw, then.
General Tagge: No, no, the hole's only two meters across.
Grand Moff Tarkin: Well, that's no bigger than a womp rat.
General Tagge: Exactly.  And even to get within range of it, you have to skim along this whole trench.  It's not a big deal.
Darth Vader: Can't we board it up or, you know, put some plywood over it or something?

4 comments:

  1. I love it. I also agree, Star Wars hands down. Probably doesn't help that Diane Keaton is not my favorite. By the way, I think you need to start using some of the language with Amelia. "Use the Force Emmie..." "You're all clear, kid, now let's blow this thing and go home!” - we could use this one when she is trying to go potty.... sorry, it had to be said...takes a long time.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, applies to Fi, "The Force is strong with this one" Sorry, I can go on......

    ReplyDelete
  3. And lastly...after Super Storm Fiona came through and left giraffe behind to let you know who done it!....Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother, you have Tyler laughing so hard he's going to fall off the couch.

    ReplyDelete