Thursday, November 8, 2012

1982 Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi.
1982 Gandhi


Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won.  There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail.  Think of it: always.

It was interesting to learn about Mahatma Gandhi, a historical figure that I really didn't know anything about, especially considering how famous he is.  I would have been interested to see more about his personal life, but maybe that's just me.  It was pretty long as is.  The details of the plot are hazy to me, but it basically covers Gandhi's transition from a 24 year old, fairly westernized lawyer to a powerful political figure, preaching peaceful resistance and working for the freedom of India from British rule.  Ben Kingsley's performance as the title character was great.  I can't decide if I like it for best picture or not.

Ben Kingsley as Gandhi.

There were lots of interesting choices that year: Tootsie, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, E.T. (a movie that has always freaked me out -that cornfield scene is scary), Das Boot...



I wish I had more to say.  Tyler will scold me because this is too short.  It was a good movie, it just didn't make a huge impression on me.

Oh, I did learn that if you lie down in a group in front of mounted cavalry, the horses won't step on you, rendering the cavalry mostly useless.  So if I am ever the head of a mob of rioters, and end up in this situation, I will know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment