Wednesday, August 14, 2013

#94 Pulp Fiction (1994)

#94 Pulp Fiction (1994)

Vincent: And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system.  They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese.  What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
Jules: Le Big-Mac.  Ha ha ha ha.  What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.


 photo PulpFiction2_zps80a4632b.jpg

Tyler had me watch Pulp Fiction after I saw and enjoyed Django Unchained, also by Quentin Tarantino, because he thinks Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's best work (I've heard from others that Reservoir Dogs is the best, but it sounds too violent for me -I've gotten more thick-skinned, but I can only tolerate so much).

While I did think that Pulp Fiction was good, I still far prefer Django.  It had such an amazing script, out of this world acting, and a fun, explosive (literally) ending, in addition to incredible cinematography and music.

Pulp Fiction also has a strong cast and script, but it doesn't pack quite the same punch that Django did.  Perhaps because I saw Django first, it made Pulp Fiction feel lackluster by comparison.  Also, all the stuff with drugs was distasteful to me.  I don't know why, but seeing drugs on the screen rubs me the wrong way.

 photo PulpFiction_zps548e2810.jpg

It is still darkly funny, particularly when two gangsters accidentally kill their cohort and need to cover it up.

It contains multiple parts that all tie together, and a star-studded cast that includes John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson as the two gangsters mentioned above, Uma Thurman as a druggy mob wife, and Bruce Willis as a boxer who tries to make money by cheating a mob boss.

I would recommend watching it once, if you can handle violence and the f-word making up half the dialogue.

Pulp Fiction lost the Oscar race to Forrest Gump, and none of the actors won, but it did win Best Original Screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment