Wednesday, August 14, 2013

#88 Bringing Up Baby (1938)

#88 Bringing Up Baby (1938)

 photo BringingupBaby2_zps64a844f7.jpg

David Huxley: Now it isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because, after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you, but -well, there haven't been any quiet moments.

Susan Vance [After they have landed themselves in jail]: Anyway, David, when they find out who we are they'll let us out.
David Huxley: When they find out who YOU are they'll pad the cell.


I had seen Bringing Up Baby once before, but it had been awhile, so I gave it another go.

It's amusing, and gave me some laughs, but not spectacular.

 photo BringingupBaby_zps967215a0.jpgI am a big Cary Grant fan, and he is great as Dr. David Huxley, a serious paleontologist who gets thrown in with wacky heiress, Susan Vance.

I'd read that Katharine Hepburn (Susan) had a hard time tackling a comedic role, but I thought she did a good job.  She's usually not my favorite actress.  The downside to her performance was that i felt like I could see her trying hard to be funny, and it should at least seem to be effortless, even if it's not.  She was also overly zany for my taste, to the point of annoying.

Susan gets David into all sorts of crazy hijinks involving a dog and a valuable dinosaur bone, aliases, one million dollars, and not one but two loose leopards.

It's cute, but a little too screwball and predictable for me.

Worth watching, but one of the top 100 movies of all time?  Not in my opinion.  Still good, though!  A great script.

Cary Grant following a dog around the yard to help him dig up a lost bone was my favorite moment -he is such a funny actor.

 photo BringingupBaby3_zpsef3bdf93.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment