Sunday, September 23, 2012

1936 The Great Ziegfeld

William Powell and Luise Rainer (Best Supporting Actress).
1936 The Great Ziegfeld

This one started out promising.  William Powell was very good in it, and the story was pretty interesting...Ziegfeld starts out promoting a strongman and works his way up to producing the famous Ziegfeld Follies and shows on Broadway, until he is devastated by the stock market crash and eventual death.  I had never heard of Ziegfeld.  Apparently he eventually married the gal that played Glinda in Wizard of Oz.

 
I was actually quite captivated until it got to...the Follies.  Long long loooong reproductions of his stage shows that made me want to fall asleep.  

I preferred My Man Godfrey, also with William Powell, and the hilarious Carole Lombard (and no Follies).  Had I been the academy, it would have gotten the award. 

My Man Godfrey.

1 comment:

  1. I loved My Man Godfrey! William Powell was hilarious -Mandy S

    ReplyDelete