Saturday, February 23, 2013

The 2013 Academy Awards Eve -My Picks

The 2013 Academy Awards Eve -My Picks

 photo 2013AcademyEve_zps9d019b78.jpg
In preparation for the 2013 Academy Awards, I watched 32 full length films and 11 short films, and listened to 5 songs.  I was unable to watch 8 nominees: One Documentary Feature (The Gatekeepers), 3 Foreign Language Films (No, Kon-Tiki, and War Witch), and 4 Documentary Short Subjects (Mondays at Racine, Kings Point, Open Heart and Redemption), because I was not able to obtain copies or see them in the theater, try as I might -those foreign films and documentary shorts are frustratingly elusive.  Well, I did my best.  Here are my picks for who I think should win (and who I think will win):

Best Picture
 photo 2013AcademyEve2_zps96bb35d4.jpg
Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

There are some good choices this year, and I have a hard time picking just one.  Lincoln was originally the popular favorite, but Argo has become the new favorite (it is winning at all the other major award shows).  I am going to predict an upset, however, and guess that Zero Dark Thirty will win.  Who should win?  So tough, and I change my mind all the time.  It is between Argo and Zero Dark Thirty (with Les Miserable and Django Unchained close behind).  It's so close, but today I pick Argo.

 photo 2013AcademyEve3_zps8955c94d.jpgDirecting

Michael Haneke, Amour
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

The race really should be between Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty), Ben Affleck (Argo), and Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained), but alas, no justice this year.  Badly done, Academy voters!  As it is, I would give the award to David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook.  Spielberg is the favorite, however.

Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
Hugh Jackman in Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix in The Master
Denzel Washington in Flight


 photo 2013AcademyEve4_zps6a811e4a.jpg

Obviously Daniel Day-Lewis is going to win, which actually makes it a rather dull category.  I thought Bradley Cooper was amazing in Silver Linings Playbook, and would like to see him win, but he really doesn't stand a chance.

Actress in a Leading Role


Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva in Amour
Quevenzhane Wallis in Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts in The Impossible

 photo 2013AcademyEve5_zpsba00edb1.jpg



I am voting for Jennifer Lawrence.  Tyler is voting for Jessica Chastain (he hasn't seen Silver Linings, but I imagine he would still vote for her).  I am thinking Jessice Chastain will win, though Jennifer Lawrence seems to be the popular choice.

 photo 2013AcademyEve6_zps02f36c65.jpg
Actor in a Supporting Role

Alan Arkin in Argo
Robert De Niro in Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master
Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln
Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained

This is the tightest race, as all have previously won and it's been across the board at the other award shows.  I would give it to Christoph Waltz.

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams in The Master
Sally Field in Lincoln
Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables
Helen Hunt in The Sessions
Jackie Weaver in Silver Linings Playbook

 photo 2013AcademyEve7_zpsc12b8200.jpg

Anne Hathaway is the favorite, and I think she would and shall win.  Helen Hunt was sure great in The Sessions, though.

 photo 2013AcademyEve8_zpsbba5ec0a.jpg
Writing Adapted Screenplay

Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook

I think Argo should win, but kudos to Life of Pi for managing dialogue between a boy and a tiger trapped at sea.

Writing Original Screenplay

Amour
Django Unchained
Flight
Moonrise Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

 photo 2013AcademyEve9_zps57266a9b.jpg



Django Unchained had an amazing screenplay, but Zero Dark Thirty might edge it out based on the massive research required to write the script.

Animated Feature Filn


 photo 2013AcademyEve91_zps37919e0f.jpg

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

Brave is the favorite, but I vote Wreck-It Ralph.

Cinematography

 photo 2013AcademyEve92_zps72450186.jpg

Anna Karenina
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

Django Unchained
has amazing cinematography and is my pick, but I think Life of Pi will win.

 photo 2013AcademyEve93_zps24e33678.jpg
Costume Design

Anna Karenina
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Mirror Mirror
Snow White and the Huntsman

Mirror Mirror, because the costumes were so fun.  I think Lincoln will win, because everybody just seems to love Lincoln.

 photo 2013AcademyEve94_zps9edad09d.jpg

Documentary Feature

5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
Searching for Sugar Man

 photo 2013AcademyEve95_zps153973b3.jpg

The Invisible War.  Though I haven't seen The Gatekeepers, so I can't really say between those two.  The Gatekeepers looks great.

Documentary Short Subject


Inocente
Kings Point
Mondays at Racine
Open Heart
Redemption

 photo 2013AcademyEve96_zpsae719843.jpg


Well, I'd have to go with Inocente, because I wasn't able to see the other 4, try as I might.

 photo 2013AcademyEve97_zps2b034251.jpgFilm Editing

Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

It's Argo vs. Zero Dark Thirty again.  I'll vote Argo -it was never dull.  The raid scene in Zero Dark Thirty was sure flawless, though.

Foreign Language Film

 photo 2013AcademyEve98_zpsf3dc2e4d.jpg

Amour, Austria
Kon-Tiki, Norway
No, Chile
A Royal Affair, Denmark
War Witch, Canada

Amour, because it is the only one also nominated for Best Picture, so obviously the Academy likes it best.  I have only seen Amour and A Royal Affair, and both were good, but I would give the award to Amour.

 photo 2013AcademyEve99_zps1dc2e958.jpg
Makeup and Hairstyling

Hitchcock
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Miserables

The Hunger Games.  Okay, it's not nominated, but it should have been.  I think Les Miserables will win.  I don't know why, just a guess.

Music Original Score

Anna Karenina
Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

I will vote Argo, but I can't say any of the scores really stuck with me.  I'm surprised that Zero Dark Thirty wasn't nominated.

Music Original Song

 photo 2013AcademyEve991_zpsab760ca3.jpg

"Before My Time" from Chasing Ice
"Everybody Needs a Best Friend" from Ted
"Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi
"Skyfall" from Skyfall
"Suddenly" from Les Miserables

I am not a music reviewer, but it seems already decided that "Skyfall" will win -because the critics love Adelle.  All of the songs seemed pretty good, but none out of this world.
 photo 2013AcademyEve992_zps6e1d6b57.jpg

Production Design

Anna Karenina
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Skyfall

I will vote The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey -it should win something!  I don't really have any idea which will win.

Short Film Animated


Adam and Dog
Fresh Guacamole
Head Over Heels
Maggie Simpson in "The Longest Daycare"
Paperman

 photo 2013AcademyEve993_zps4b437f5c.jpg

I think Paperman should and will win -it's a new style of animation, and it was cute.

Short Film Live Action

 photo 2013AcademyEve994_zpsdc83a279.jpg

Asad
Buzkashi Boys
Curfew
Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)
Henry

Curfew was my favorite, and Asad would be my second choice.

Sound Editing

Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

I don't know what sound editing is, but I will vote for Zero Dark Thirty.

 photo 2013AcademyEve995_zps816cb526.jpgSound Mixing

Argo
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

I also don't know what sound mixing is, but I will vote for Les Miserables.

Visual Effects

 photo 2013AcademyEve996_zps3e97f72a.jpg

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Life of Pi
Marvel's The Avengers
Prometheus
Snow White and the Huntsman

I think Life of Pi will win.  They were all good.


I'm ready to enjoy the Oscars tomorrow!  We have our costumes ready, the ballots printed, and are raring to go.  Should be a fun party at my mom's house.  Hopefully will be a fun show, and the fashion will be spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment